Monday, April 4, 2011

Making Dies Work For You

Die Cuts are still popular.  Whether you use a decorative paper punches, Sizzix, AccuCut or a computer die cutter, they all help you to create fun elements for pages, cards or mixed medium art pieces.

I create die cut elements using papers that are archival, acid free, and fabulous.  Cutting die cuts and just applying them flat is one thing, but turning them into wonderful elements is quite another.

Layering flowers can be used both the front and back of the papers, or mix colors, mixed prints, or a combination.  Complete the stacking using either a decorative eyelet or brad.  I really like to make the petals of the flowers hold a curve and never flatten.  To do this, I first curl each petal using the blade of a scissor, a bone folder or other found object that will curl.  Using an eyelet setter or spoon, I hold the petals upside down in the palm of my hand to make a rounded indention.  My secret to hold each petal in the curve is to use cool melt glue drop in each rounded indention.  After the glue cools, stack the layers and your flower will stand up to just about anything ... united states mail ( but please ask for hand stamping), heavy scrapbook, or any other application.

When I was in Brazil working for a distributor of my product line, I met a wonderful store owner, Celi Mara and I was simply struck with the beauty of her work.  See the stacked flowers on this simply elegant scrapbook page.  Same idea could be used to create a greeting card.

Think of the wonderful gifts you could make.  A blank scrapbook filled with wonderful pages just ready for a new mom or bride to insert photos into for their memories.  If you are creating a card, just a smaller version and still a photo could be inserted or the area filled with a stamped sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment